Detoxing, Fasting, And Plant-Based Eating For Ultimate Brain Health w. Dr. Joshua Helman, MD (Ep 6)
Holistic Nootropics Podcast Show Notes
This episode features Dr. Joshua Helman.
Dr. Josh is a Harvard-trained physician licensed in twelve states
He has two degrees in Biochemistry, (bachelor’s from Harvard magna cum laude and master’s from the University of Cambridge, UK).
He is Board Certified by the American Board of Emergency Medicine and American Board of Lifestyle Medicine.
His medical degree is from Harvard Medical School and MIT.
He is the former Medical Director of Hippocrates Health Institute.
His areas of interest include toxins, mold, Lyme disease and fasting.
As a plant-based physician, he embraces an integrative approach including the importance of diet and lifestyle for optimal health.
Dr. Helman is currently affiliated with the TrueNorth Health Center research team.
Dr. Josh’s knowledge in the world of toxins and their relationship to disease is unmatched.
His 2 degrees in biochemistry and medical education from some of the most prestigious medical institutions in the world enable him to understand physical and mental toxicity from a true, science-based perspective.
His experience working with some of the most respected healing institutes in the world allows him to see these academic principals in action.
It was an honor to chat with Dr. Josh about toxicity’s effects on the brain.
I’m confident that after listening to this podcast you’ll be able to walk away with at least a few nuggets of wisdom to help your journey of cognitive enhancement.
Topics Discussed In The Podcast
- Detoxing and its importance to neurotoxicity
- The chemistry of life and pathways where toxins and heavy metals can disrupt
- Dr. Josh’s success with food and overall health overall coming diseases at TrueNORTH AND Hippocrates institute
- The problems with new POPs (persistent organic pollutants) and the harm they cause the body and brain
- How toxic chemicals influence body fat
- The harm caused by plastic BPA’s, PCB’s and what BPA-free means
- The importance of assuming that most chemicals are toxic to the body and their long half-lives
- Newborn babies found with toxic chemicals in the umbilical cord
- The harm of mold found in your home. How to identify rooms in your home that may have mold
- Why testing is the best place to start before you decide what kind of detox to do
- Dr Josh’s experience working with fasting.
- How there are no studies showing that fasting effectively eliminates toxins
- Why he doesn’t recommend juice or water fasting on your own
- Why he doesn’t recommend exercising while fasting
- Estrogen dominance’s influence on the body and mind
- The problems with oxalate
- The diet secrets to longevity
- Why he is a proponent of Plant-Based dieting
- For more on Dr. Josh Check out DrJosh.com
- ++ Much More
Supplements Mentioned In This Podcast
Mind Lab Pro
Optimize your brain with Mind Lab Pro. The Nootropic Multi-Vitamin and our top pre-formulated nootropic stack choice.
Studies Mentioned In This Podcast
Dr. Josh mentioned studies done on people fasting for Ramadan. Below are 2 that are good reference points.
- Oxidant and antioxidant parameters in people who fast during Ramadan, and those who do not
Further Reading On Topics Discussed
About the author:
Erik Levi is a co-founder of HolisticNootropics.com and a certified holistic nutritional therapy practitioner.
As an NTP Erik takes a nutrition first approach to health. He has worked with many different people to help them use nutrition to optimize their quality of life.
Erik believes that mental health is a physiological process and cognitive enhancement is not something that can be achieved by just taking some pills with good Amazon reviews.
Instead, true cognitive enhancement comes with the right balance of nutrients, movement, and gratitude. Erik continues to stay up to date with the most current nootropic and holistic health research and promises to deliver the best solutions possible.
You can check out his personal health blog/podcast/YouTube Channel all under the name Holistic A-Hole.