The thyroid is one of the most misunderstood and misinterpreted organs in the body. Its influence on optimal cognition and vitality cannot be understated.
It drives energy metabolism, and if not optimized can leave you feeling flat.
This episode is with Dr. Shawn Soszka who is a naturopathic Dr who specializes in thyroid optimization along with authoring several books all about the thyroid.
Who Is Dr. Shawn Soszka
Dr. Shawn Soszka is an award-winning writer, naturopathic physician, functional medicine practitioner, and licensed acupuncturist who has used a holistic approach to treat thyroid conditions effectively for over 20 years. He specializes in thyroid, adrenal, and digestive disorders. His detailed understanding of the interconnectedness of all of the systems of the body allows him to better serve his patients by finding effective solutions to their health concerns.
He has served an adjunct professor of gastroenterology at the National University of Natural Medicine and continues to serve as a clinical mentor for naturopathic medical students in his busy clinical practice in Portland, Oregon. Additionally, he is a founding board member of the Gastroenterology Association of Naturopathic Physicians and is an active member of Endocrinology Association of Naturopathic Physicians, National Association of Environmental Medicine, and the Association for the Advancement of Restorative Medicine.
- Most people w. Thyroid issues have autoimmune problems
- Gut and dental problems contribute to thyroid
- Mold contributes to thyroid problems
- Leaky gut triggers the immune system which cascades into autoimmunity that affects the thyroid
- Overuse of antibiotics and acid blockers weaken the gut
- Molecular mimicry in gluten triggers autoimmunity
- Gluten mimics thyroid hormone
- H. Pylori and candida affect the thyroid
- Candida found to be the causative agent of depression
- TSH produced in the pituitary
- T4 is produced in the thyroid
- T3 is a biologically active form for cells
- Thyroids primary job is energy metabolism
- Conversion happens in liver, kidneys, and intestines
- Reverse T3: Biologically inactive T3 that doesn’t get into the cell. Can affect T3.
- Need selenium and zinc for conversion of T3 in the liver
- Toxicity can affect conversion
- WHO states that iodine deficiency is rare
- Don’t want too much Iodine, can be a common mistake in the alternative medicine world
- Brazil nuts high in selenium. Supplementation can deliver excessive selenium
- Chemicals that affect thyroid: DDT, Glyphosate,
- Heavy Metals: Arsenic, Cadmium
- Organic baby food being found with heavy metals
- Household Chemicals: (SKIN DEEP) Phthalates, Parabens
- Brain Fog from inflammation
- Leaky Brain
- Mold and Brain fog
- Viruses can affect the thyroid and brain health
- Oregano oil, Rosemary, Garlic oils help
- Oregano for candida
- Berberine for H. Pylori
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and thyroid
- Trauma can affect the thyroid
- Free T3 vs Regular T3
- Estrogen dominance can increase bound T3
- Men with low testosterone may have thyroid issues
- Anti-Inflammatory diet is the best diet for thyroid
- Raw cruciferous veggies are problematic. Cooked not so much.
- Autoimmune paleo is a good option for thyroid
- Nutrient-dense food with iron and zinc are best for thyroid
- Shawn’s Book: The Thyroid Fix
- Work with Dr. Shawn @ Beeson Wellness Center