Repair Your Brain w. Neurofeedback featuring Dr. John Silva (Ep 14)
In this episode of the Holistic Nootropics Podcast my I’m joined by Dr. John Silva.
We discuss how he uses technologies like Quantitative electroencephalography (QEEG) and neurofeedback to map and rewire the brain.
Dr. Silva uses QEEG to discover the levels and balance of activity in the different hemispheres of the brain to accurately diagnose mental conditions.
He then uses neurofeedback tools to help patients rewire their brains by harnessing the power of neuroplasticity.
With this amazing technology, he has helped patients with a number of mental conditions including anxiety, depression, PTSD, and ADHD.
Dr. John also sees a lot of success using these tools with high performers such as professional athletes and CEO’s.
Who Is Dr. John Silva, D.C
Dr. John Silva, D.C. has 19 years of clinical experience helping people of all ages with a variety of chronic and acute conditions.
His expertise is in the fields of functional neurology and functional medicine.
Through continued clinical experience and post-graduate training, his practice has evolved over the years.
His primary focus is on helping people with a variety of neurological conditions and particularly those of the brain.
It simply makes sense to get the brain functioning better, since the brain controls and regulates every aspect of human well-being and health.
The brain is responsible for and controls all cognitive, behavioral, and emotional functions as well as all other physiological functions in the body.
He considers neurofeedback training, detoxification, and functional medicine to be the foundational and the primary interventions for anyone suffering from a chronic health condition.
- The value of practicing Functional neurology
- Why it’s important to pay attention to subtle signs of mental insufficiency as it could be a sign of a bigger disorder like Alzheimer’s
- Using QEEG and why it helps diagnose mental health disorders.
- Many mental health disorders seen on the QEEG are seen as lack of symmetry between brain hemispheres.
- The importance of examining coherence between hemispheres of the brain
- High frontal theta wave activity is typically seen as ADHD
- Normal brains show more beta waves in left hemisphere, alpha waves in the right.
- People prone to panic attacks are the opposite of normal brains with more alpha waves in the left and beta waves in the right hemispheres.
- Typical QEEG for Anxiety presents as elevated Beta brain wave activity. .
- Depression is dysregulation of Alpha brain waves
- A lot of people experience both anxiety and depression together
- Much of the emotional issues come from emotional traumas even if we don’t remember it. Can pick this up on the QEEG.
- “Insults” to the brain. Physical and emotional that affect us as adults
- Neuroplasticity allows us to rewire the brain
- Neurofeedback can help rewire the brain and harness the power neuroplasticity
- Organizes neural networks to give the brain what it likes
- Neurofeedback is great for peak performers. Athletes, CEO’s, etc
- Heavy metals + organic and inorganic environmental toxins from chemicals are prevalent in mental health disorders. Especially heavy metals.
- Must detoxify heavy metals to truly heal and improve brain function
- Heavy metals like mercury are being passed down through generations. Mom to children.
- Artificial sweeteners can be toxic to the brain
- Ridding heavily processed foods can be helpful to brain health
- Dr. John recommends nutraceuticals: L-Carnitine, CBD, especially Liposomal form
- Alpha-Lipoic acid crosses the Blood Brain Barrier and good for detoxing heavy metals
- Fixing leaky gut and candida overgrowth is key for recovering from brain disorders
- Autism associated with high oxalate
- Remember to visit the Alzheimer’s Association website to see their various stages of dementia and if you’ve experienced any of the signs. Especially if you are in your 20’s and 30’s, you can begin to reverse this decline with tools like Neurofeedback.
Alpha Lipoic Acid
Where To Find Dr. John
About the author:
Erik Levi is a co-founder of HolisticNootropics.com and a certified holistic nutritional therapy practitioner.
As an NTP Erik takes a nutrition first approach to health. He has worked with many different people to help them use nutrition to optimize their quality of life.
Erik believes that mental health is a physiological process and cognitive enhancement is not something that can be achieved by just taking some pills with good Amazon reviews.
Instead, true cognitive enhancement comes with the right balance of nutrients, movement, and gratitude. Erik continues to stay up to date with the most current nootropic and holistic health research and promises to deliver the best solutions possible.
You can check out his personal health blog/podcast/YouTube Channel all under the name Holistic A-Hole.