This podcast is all about the fellas. My guest, Dr. Geo Espinoza, is an expert in all things male health. This podcast dives deep into the health issues most pertinent to dudes including testosterone, erectile function, prostate health, stress, and more!
Who Is Dr. Geo Espinoza, ND
Dr. Geo Espinosa is a naturopathic functional medicine doctor recognized as an
authority in urology and men’s health. He is faculty and holistic clinician in urology at
New York University Langone Health and faculty for the Institute for Functional
Medicine. As an avid researcher and writer, Dr. Geo has authored numerous scientific
papers and books, including the best-selling prostate cancer book Thrive, Don’t Only
Survive! He is the chief medical officer and formulator at the male-focused nutraceutical
company, XY Wellness, LLC. Dr. Geo is the co-founder and writer of the popular male
health website, DrGeo.com.
- Men’s health specialist
- Men are not typically into health and wellness
- PDE 5 inhibitors- Viagra, Cialis, etc
- Stress contributes to ED
- ED can be a sign of other problems like metabolic syndrome, blood pressure.
- Arginine helpful for ED, but needs to be paired with citrulline. Arginine can cause complications. If you want more arginine in the system you don’t take more arginine, you take citrulline.
- Citrulline can help produce nitric oxide in the body.
- Men should get stronger with age
- ADT- androgen deprivation therapy. Lowers testosterone for prostate cancer
- Testosterone is a nootropic
- Clinical symptoms of low T.
- Low T can exacerbate personality traits
- Natural stimulation of T –>Lower cortisol
- Testosterone is produced 4-5am. 8am best time to check testosterone.
- Weight resistance, specifically back and legs is best for testosterone
- Zinc, Ashwagandha, Adaptogens help testosterone
- No OTC supplements guaranteed to boost testosterone
- Estrogen dominance comes from xenoestrogens from the environment
- Testosterone/Estradiol ratio ideal is 25:1
- Nettle ROOT is an SHGB inhibitor. 500mg 2x/day
- To avoid prostate issues when you’re older you need to do good things when you’re younger
- Prostatitis is with young men, from stress
- BPH and prostate cancer is found in older men
- PSA Test is #1 biomarker for Prostate health. Prostate-Specific Antigen.
- PSA is age-specific, numbers vary w. age.
- Black Cohosh, Saw Palmetto, Curcumin, Boswellia, Zinc (coupled with copper), have affinity for prostate
- Flax seeds good for prostate
- Urinary issues
- Smooth muscle health, involuntary muscles like around the bladder and prostate
- Nervines help the smooth muscles: Kava, lemon balm, Passionflower, Magnesium,
- Nocturia- Nighttime urination
- Low dose SSRI helps is the treatment for premature ejaculation. But can trigger ED.