Brendan Vermeire, aka the Holistic Savage, joined me on the podcast to take a deep dive into the biomarkers that most influence mental health. We discuss how inflammation and histamine sensitivities affect cognition and how monitoring the right biomarkers from blood tests can help you truly biohack your mental capabilities. He even has his own blood panel that puts all these biomarkers together.
About Brendan Vermeire
Brendan is a Mental and Metabolic Health Scientist & Researcher, Functional Medicine Educator, Writer,
and Speaker. He is a Board-Certified Holistic Health Practitioner, Master Nutrition Coach, Master
Personal Trainer, USAW Sports Performance Coach, and Crossfit Trainer.
He began his career as a personal trainer and nutrition coach at the age of 18 after disappointingly being
medically discharged from the United States Navy Seal training pipeline due to an injury. After being
exposed to the power of functional lab testing in the start of his career, he began intensely pursuing that
as a career path which has led him to be widely regarded as one of the top leading experts in Metabolic
Health and Functional Education.
He is the proud owner and founder of the Metabolic Solutions Institute for Functional Health and Fitness
Practitioners, and the Metabolic Solutions Research & Education Foundation, a not-for-profit foundation
dedicated to ‘changing the way the world views mental health’ through advancing the science of Mental
Health Dysfunction. He is also the creator of The Mental M.A.P.TM, a cutting-edge Lab Panel for Mental
When he’s not educating doctors/practitioners/professionals, helping clients overcome their most
severe health struggles, or producing cutting edge scientific education, Brendan enjoys all things fitness
and is probably working out. He also enjoys anything in nature and any activities that expand his heart,
mind, and soul.
- Functional mental health specialist
- Evolution of mental health research
- Most MD’s education is outdated for what patients truly need
- Importance of Bio-Individuality
- SSRI’s only work for 40% of users
- Role of inflammation in mental health
- Obesity and mental health
- Problem w. Dopamine and serotonin precursors
- Genes that influence how antidepressants work
- Problem w. Anti-inflammatory drugs
- Histamine and mental health
- Brain Fog
- Brendan’s Microglial Activation Blood Panel
- Psychedelics and Mushrooms for Mental health
- Follow Brendan: Instagram: @holisticsavage